Friday, November 2, 2018

Giving Back

I was reminded today about how important giving back to others can be. Thank God there have been those in my life who, first of all, cared for me and then shared some of what helped them cope and work through hard times.

Social media is a two edged sword sometimes--it can be used in a very productive way...other times, not so much.


I was blessed to receive a message from a young lady today describing how she had gone through a battle with depression. The most amazing part about what she shared wasn't the fact that she overcame depression--but the first step in the journey. The part of her message that really helped me pause and reflect were these words...


"I suffered depression. So to combat this, I started to help somebody else."

Pause for a moment and let that sink in...

After thinking about these words and reflecting, I began remembering some of my past struggles and what ultimately brought me help and peace. The following is the reply I sent. My prayer is that it will encourage her and help her realize that what she is doing is so very important. 

"What a need there is today for those who are willing to give of themselves to help others. I too went through a dark time after returning from the Gulf War. Thankfully, there were people who cared and told me that God loved me long before I had ever thought about him. David, in the Bible went through a dark time when he said in Psalm 142:4 "I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul." There are many today with those same feelings. My spiritual journey has helped me beyond my expectations. The fact that some people did care and pointed me towards the giver of all inner peace--Jesus Christ. I want to give back so I too share an aspect of my life which helped me. I feel the two keys were people who cared and spiritual truth found in God's word. Paul gave us the recipe for real peace when he said "Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Phillipians 4:6-7). Thank you for your desire to give back to others. May your way be blessed. Please stay in contact through this medium and let me know how your efforts are being rewarded."

Giving back...sometimes the greatest gift we could ever give is ourselves. Jesus said...

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13








No comments:

Post a Comment

Rapture!

  The purpose of the following is to outline a systematic study of the scriptures to determine the major differences between two biblical te...